Monday, March 18, 2013

Silk Covered Buttons


We did a 10 minute fitting on Friday. It fits perfectly. WOO HOO  I have three things planned for this upcoming week.

The first one is making buttons.  Since I was not able to find silk covered buttons, I decided to cover a few with the silk the dress is made from.  I found that the more I practiced the easier it got.  The directions are awful so I worked out my own method...cutting a square of fabric rather than a circle and ending the process with a whack of my hammer.  I photographed the steps and you can just flip through them kind of quickly to see the steps.

First I cut out a square of silk and center it on the button thingie.

Then I take the little metal cap and push it button side down.

It comes out looking like this.

Then I cut some of the excess fabric off  

Push it into the back side of the button.



Then I put the metal button backing on top of a scrunched up fabric

Put the little blue pusher thingie on top of the buttom and "push firmly"
I  give it a nice hit with a hammer even though it doesn't call for it

Pop the button out and there you have it!




1 comment: