Quick note while I am waiting for my pieces to dry. I put little coral pennants (another project) under the lace so you can see the detail.,,,just ignore them they aren't part of the dress.
One of the challenges I have been having with this beautiful lace is that it is a couple inches wide and won’t go around neckline without puckering. I debated putting in a small dart but it didn’t look as I envisioned. See where the dart would have to be made? I would have had to put in five darts to get around all the curves and bends.
I decided that I would have to cut most of the lace and apply it piece by piece.
I you look close you can see the fine netting around the lace design...you can cut thru the fine net with no raveling. On the places where I have to cut across the design I am putting a drop or two of a neat product called Fray-Check. It a little like airplane glue, clear, and it has a very find tip for applying it.
I started with the center using the motif that worked the best. I centered it and clipped it out. This is what it looks like.
And this is what it look like when it is pinned to the dress. I put Fray Check around the edges and set it aside to dry…about 30 minutes.
This is what it looks like pinned to the front of the neckline.
The next piece attaches to the center…you won’t be able to see it after it is sewn down.
The scallop matches perfectly! WOO HOO
At the shoulder I had to clip some flowers and leaves that hung off the shoulder of the dress.
|Before the trim|
|After the trim.|
I Fray-Checked the edges and as soon as they are dry I am going to sew it down. It will take me a couple hours to sew it in place because I am going to sew all the little bits and pieces down.
It's almost 9:00 so I'd better stop talking and get to work.