Monday, April 1, 2013

Something Blue


Something old,
something new,
something borrowed,
something blue,
and a silver sixpence in her shoe.



Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride.  If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy.

"Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past. 

"Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead. 

"Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries.  "Marry in blue, lover be true."

And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. 


When I got married my something old, and something borrowed were the same thing .  My mother-in-law Elizabeth lent me a cameo brooch, my dress was new and store bought, and my mother gave me a hankie with blue lace on the edge. 

Yesterday I printed out "Brittney & Jon April 20, 2013" with a washable marker on the hem facing of the dress and embroidered it in blue.  When you turn the hem up the writing is right side up and it will make a cute photo. 


I like something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue...but I really don't get a silver sixpence in her shoe...I know it rhymes but it seems to me that a purse would be more practical AND it wouldn't cause a blister.







No comments:

Post a Comment