Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Carla I need some help"


After a cup of tea I started working on the dress this morning at 11:00.  I laid the fabric out on the table, smoothed all the wrinkles out, lined up the scalloped edges and pinned on the first pattern piece.  I picked up the scissors, got ready to cut and then the phone rang. 

When I walked back in the sewing room I came up with a totally different way of laying the pattern pieces out. 


So I re-folded the fabric, re-pinned the edges, and pinned on the pattern.  Hmmm I thought to myself, maybe I like the first way better.  I wrote to Ingrid my friend in Texas to see what she thought.  We sent about a dozen emails and I walked back in my sewing room...yes, I do like it the first way I had it pinned.  So I re-folded-pinned and got ready to make a cut. 

While I was pinning it back on I thought "what would happen if I pinned the front pieces together and eliminated the princess line that way there would be no seams and no matching."  I pinned the seams of the pattern together and laid it out "this might just work."  Whew am I glad that I didn't already cut it out this new method might be awesome.

Four hours later I am still standing in front of the fabric moving it one way and then the other trying to get it laid out perfectly, I still hadn't made a cut.

Cameron walked past the sewing room and saw me staring at the fabric.  He offered me some words of advice "you think too much.

"Thanks Cameron!"

I called my friend Carla at Les Fabriques my favorite fabric store.

"Carla, I have been standing her looking at this lace fabric for 4 1/2 hours and I am driving myself nuts, could I come to the shop for some advice" I asked.

"Sure come tomorrow at 11:00 and we'll figure it out," she told me. 
So tomorrow I am heading into town to cut out the skirt.  Today I learned that:

1. Cameron was right and I am probably overthinking
2. When stuck in a rut call an expert. 
3. It never fails that acts of kindness come when you least expect them but need them the most.  Thanks Button!

 The End but stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment